Wednesday, March 18, 2009

...and I have a fan behind me

So St Pat's has gone again. Maybe we should all be filled with the merriment of green beer and small chested Celtic women. But I can't help but feel bad. The thing is, I feel bad because I don't feel bad, and THAT'S what I wanted to talk about tonight.

Liam Neeson's wife, Natasha Richardson, died today following a horrific skiing accident. She was a well known product of a great acting family, had won a Tony Award and held the respect of her peers. One moment she was full of life and energy and within hours that life was snuffed out.

What bothers me about this is, I don't care. Now don't get me wrong, I am not being callous or disrespectful. In fact I am trying with all my might to be a better person, but that simply has to start with self awareness. When I was told of the tragic fate of Ms Richardson, I shrugged my shoulders and mumbled, "Never heard of her." Later I learned she was the wife of Liam Neeson and mother of his children and beloved by her family who are shocked and devastated because a vital part of their lives is now gone forever. And I shrugged the information off without a second thought. Did you? Did you feel the same initial reaction?

Here's the deal. I want to be a better person. I don't want to be a big sissy or get in touch with my girly side. But you know what? I have felt loss. I have suffered grief. There were good people who were there to help me. People who can always be counted upon. And I feel, I will never really be one of those people because when I hear about the Natasha Richardsons of the day, I shrug it off because I don't know them. But I know the pain of loss... so... WTF?!!

Here's the deal man, I think all reasonable, intelligent people are on Mazlow's journey to self actualization. I want to be the better person. I want to be one of the good guys. I want to be an apex human filled with humanity. I know the world is full of those who have no desire to do this (we call them Republicans) and I am actually sad for their self-imposed limits of personal growth. But it does not change the fact that I want to be as good a man as I can be, but I also don't really care that Natasha Richardson died in a terrible skiing accident, and it is because I am not yet one of the good guys. And reason demands that I have to acknowledge that I might never be one of the good guys. It doesn't change anything, the goal of life is to climb our own personal ladder to self actualization. It is not a competition, we will all have different levels. But still, we can take comfort in the fact we are better people than Republicans.

SO to Liam Neeson and the family of Natasha Richardson: I am so sorry for your loss. It's a damn tragedy for the entire family and I wish all of you well in these troubling times.

ON Another Topic:
We interviewed for a new employee today. This lady comes in and is telling us how she worked with the poor and how they are unwashed, but "her heart has no nose." She said she brings them into her office and she helps them get back on their feet and the love she feels for them means her great and loving heart can't smell the unwashed people in abject poverty. "...plus I have a fan behind me."

Now THAT was funny! I don't care who you are.

p.s. If you want to argue the issue about small chested Celtic women, you are going to have to PROVE IT!

3 comments:

whall said...

As a Republican I'll just say I care a lot more than you think I do.

But for this blog? I care a little less.

Avitable said...

I felt bad for Liam Neeson and his family, but I'm with you otherwise.

Cris said...

Whall: Awww it's just a joke I use around here in Oklahoma. Did you know McCain won all 77 Counties in this state? We are the ONLY state in the nation that every county and district voted majority Republican? We are the reddest state in the nation. SO, yeah... I poke a little fun.

If it makes you feel any better, I just sent an Email to my state Representative asking for a tax cut. Honest!

Avi: I do too. But my first reaction was, "So? Who's she?" That's wrong, not once did I think of the family feeling loss until somebody pointed out grieving family members. From experience I SHOULD KNOW the family grief that follows sudden death... yet I am not climbing my little pyramid of self actualization.

Essentially, it's all about me getting pissy because I am not considerate of others so it can be all about me. Which.. is maybe even worse than being callous and insensitive. Sheesh, I suck!